'Big System' Python Engineer / Sr. Software Engineer -- REMOTE
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN US
Scuba Analytics is a Customer Intelligence Platform built to enrich, activate, and accelerate first-party, and fast data, to maximize CDPs and enable brands to create hyper-personalized messaging at scale–with 100% data control within their private cloud. Our unique approach was originated by Facebook engineers who found that the best commercial tools were not powerful enough to support real-time exploration of billions of daily user actions and interactions. With Scuba Analytics, the entire organization can stop guessing and start knowing how and why customers are acting, interacting and transacting with their products and services, in real time and throughout all time.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Working On A Custom API Tier For Distributed Query Planning, High Volume Ingest and Metadata Management - We build almost all of our core features from scratch, to best implement and support Scuba Analytics's unique behavioral analysis engine and its underlying behavioral built-ins like funnels, sessions, cohorts and metrics.
- Building New Product Capabilities - We’re building a product unlike any other. Every day we work to solve technical problems in uncharted territory, so that our product can be the best on the market. Features we have worked on in the past include our custom query planner, distributed ingest pipeline, lightweight ETL library using Python generators, incremental metadata management system, query cache and Scuba Analytics CLI.
- Creating a Great Product Experience For Customers - Scuba Analytics is active 24/7 as it helps our customers analyze billions of rows of sophisticated data. Every engineer knows that bugs happen - but we work hard to try to not only avoid them in the first place, but also fix them as soon as possible. The stakes are high when we log into production environments to diagnose the toughest distributed issues, but the rewards outweigh the risks.
- Automated Testing - Our best defense against spending time fixing bugs after we ship, is to plan ahead, and author features that contain a solid battery of unit and integration tests.
- Collaborating - We work with our Product, QA, Documentation, Support and other teams to build the best software we can. One of the advantages of being a small startup is that we’re all on a single floor; we have great opportunities to collaborate, share knowledge, and innovate as a team.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- 6+ years of experience as a backend engineer, or similar
- Must have Python / C++ experience
- Excellent engineering skills and strong CS fundamentals (BS in Computer Science or equivalent)
- Comfortable writing highly concurrent systems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with system performance and resource optimization strategies
- Self motivation and team spirit - An ability to take initiative and solve problems without direction from others is crucial. At the same time, we value and appreciate the opportunity to work with each other as a team.
- Analytics experience - We work with data daily, so an interest in and experience with collecting, importing, visualizing, exploring, and/or analyzing data is key.