ML Engineer in Search
Software Engineering, Data Science
Remote · United States
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2022
Vectara is on a mission to provide a scalable platform for neural information retrieval, to help our customers build the next generation of semantically-aware search systems. Our founding team includes industry veterans (Amr Awadallah, cofounder of Cloudera), and experts in neural IR and distributed systems from Google.
This position is for search engineers and researchers with extensive prior expertise. Remote work is okay, although the main engineering team is located in Silicon Valley, so local candidates are slightly preferred.
Come help us build the future platform for information retrieval!
Ideal candidates will have expertise in one or more of the following areas
- Design of dual-encoder models for information retrieval.
- Search evaluation.
- Search ranking techniques, including cross-attentional rerankers and adaptive rerankers (e.g. LambdaMART)
- Statistical calibration techniques, especially for deep neural networks.
- Experience developing large-scale commercial search systems.
- Neural approaches to Open domain QA and Zero-shot IR.
- Familiarity with sparse and dense IR methods.
- Machine learning techniques, including, but not limited to, deep learning.
The following are plusses, but not required:
- Experience designing joint embedding spaces.
- Vector databases, including performance measurement and tuning.
- Published research.
- At least 8 years of industry experience, or graduate studies and three years of industry experience.
- Located in Silicon Valley.
Vectara welcomes all. We value the collective wisdom of people from different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. Vectara has a positive and supportive culture—we look for people who are inventive and work to be a little better every single day. We seek to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, curious. After all, we are on a mission to find meaning.
Perks and Benefits:
100% paid Medical, Dental, Vision begins on your first day! Option of Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Savings Account (FSA). Generous paid time off (PTO) plus paid sick time, holidays, and company rest days. Professional development and training opportunities. Company virtual happy hours and fun team building activities and more.